League Finals at Tehachapi, CA on May 6, 2018

This race was most definitely not my best race, but I still think I did great considering the conditions and I know that I have a lot to be proud of. First of all, I would like to congratulate Jonah on one of the best races I can think of. You earned it!
As soon as the race started, the wind kicked in, and the whole varsity field was overwhelmed with dust. Like always, this was gonna be one of the most challenging races of the season. Within the first few minutes of the race, my plans had gone out the window. I got stuck in an unfortunate placing going into the single track and I lost the lead group. A bummer if I ever did see one. But this was not going to stop me. I spent the first and second lap gaining ground on the chasing and I was in a comfortable 10th place with a decent gap between 11th. On the 3rd lap, disaster struck. One of the many sharp rocks on the second half of the course had punctured my tire! Quickly I got off my bike and pumped some GUP into the tire in an attempt to seal the tire. It didn't seal right away but as soon as I started riding, it sealed. I was back in the race. Unfortunately, I had lost 5 spots in just that one minute of delay. My confidence took a blow but I had to finish the race and work for a race that I could be proud of. Slowly, I started reeling in those who passed me during my interlude. I think I caught 3 or 4 of them within the next half lap but right before the switchback climb on my 4th lap, the plug in my puncture fell out and the horrible hissing of air resumed. By the time I fixed it this time, I had lost another minute, maybe more.My tire pressure was also low now so I was forced to be more careful on the rock gardens in order to prevent further disasters. Luckily the rest of the race passed without incident, and I was done. I finished 15th place, my worst placing by far, but I finished. You cannot always have your best race I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cruise the Keys at Keyesville April 8, 2018

Vail Lake;Socal League Race #2

Vail Lake GoldCoast Race April 29, 2018