Fontana Golden Coast Race April 7, 2018

I knew that this race would be an unusual one before I even started. First of all, on Wednesday, the whole Socal Devo team went to Fontana to preride. Afterwards, we went out to eat at a local pizza place an ordered the most massive pizza I have ever seen in person. It was probably 3 feet wide! This totally destroyed my usual race diet. Secondly, I was going to be racing two races this weekend. Third, there was only 4 other people in my category.
We started the race at a much slower pace than I expected, but soon we were up to the same intensity that I have come to know and love. On the first asphalt climb I fell into second place and I knew that this was exactly were I was supposed to be. I noticed that my competitors, although strong, were slightly less capable on the downhill and more technical aspects of the course so as soon as we arrived at the small firewood climb up to the water tower, I was rested and ready to attack. By the end of the short climb, i had put about a 15 second gap between myself and second place. I finished the lap with what I estimated as a 2 minute gap between second place so I grinded on. Soon after I started  the second lap, a group of slightly faster riders from another category caught up with me so I kept pace with them, hoping to create an even larger gap from the next guy. But while beginning the first downhill after the technical single track climb, disaster struck and the sidewall of my back tire got caught on a sharp rock and tore. There was nothing I could do and my race was over in less than a second. It was the most horrible feeling because that would have been my first ever win in a race. I guess that somethings just cannot be controlled.  I got back to the venue, replaced my tire with the help of the Zubrick's wonderful generosity in loaning me some sealant, and got ready to redeem myself at Keyesville the following day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cruise the Keys at Keyesville April 8, 2018

Vail Lake;Socal League Race #2

Vail Lake GoldCoast Race April 29, 2018