Cruise the Keys at Keyesville April 8, 2018

This race was going to be hard no matter what. I knew that going into to it. The competition was fierce, my legs were tired, the course was difficult, the wind windy. But nothing was going to stop me from trying my hardest and redeeming myself from that misfortunate race this prior day.
On the starting line, I felt a camaraderie unlike any other with my fellow racers. People recognized me and greeted me kindly. I finally felt as if I was racing where I belonged. I had the 7th place call-up so I sat in the 2nd row with my fellow teammate Jonah Sanchez who would end up placing second in this race. as the race started, all bets were off. Everyone was sprinting to establish their spots in the lead group. I, however, was just trying to survive. As soon as we crossed the road and began the first real climb, I knew that I could not keep the lead group's pace without blowing up so I backed off a smudge and joined up with a few other inbetweeners. The whole first lap passed with no success in catching up to that lead group; I was close but I just couldn't find it in me to bridge the gap. By the second lap, My small group had dispersed: one lost me and I lost the other. What a mistake that was, fighting through the raging wind by myself. Nothing even remotely interesting happened from then until the third lap when I lost my chain coming out of the stream so I had to put it back on with shaky hands and the fear that I was going to lose the gap that I had worked so hard to gain. Luckily I was back on my bike in a few seconds and with no one else in sight. It wasn't until the top of the climb in the third lap that I found out that i was in 10th place. This came as a huge surprise to me. I had thought that I was in the twenties and my race was hopeless. I got a new burst of energy in that third lap and even caught up to the 9th place guy and passed him. Unfortunately,  None of this energy carried into the final, most grueling lap. I felt exhaustion unlike any other, trying to battle the wind up those steep hills and down the twisting single track. It seemed like there was a headwind in every direction I faced. But, I finished. I did it. I raced 2 races in one weekend and survived. This will give me confidence going into this next weekend with another two races at Bonelli Park and Vail Lake. Wish me luck!

Comments

  1. I love the play by play. Way to put in that strong effort, Micah in spite of the wind and your tired, race-worn legs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vail Lake;Socal League Race #2

Vail Lake GoldCoast Race April 29, 2018